Authors: Grisogono B.
Recent research suggests that the evolution of the stable ABL is still poorly understood. Certain advances in theory and modeling of the stable ABL (SABL) are assessed. Inclined strongly SABL is addressed. We show that a relatively thin and strongly SABL, as recently modeled using an improved “z-less” mixing length, can be successfully treated; the result is quietly extended to other types of SABL. Finally, a generalized “z-less” mixing length is proposed.
Tags: katabatic flow; Monin-Obukhov length; numerical modelling; parameterization; Prandtl number; Richardson numbers; stratified turbulence; very stable boundary layer
Download full text (PDF)
- Banta , R.M. (2008) Stable-boundary-layer regimes from the perspective of the low-level jet. Acta Geophysica, 56, pp. 58–87.
- Cuxart, J. and M.A. Jiménez (2007) Mixing processes in a nocturnal low-level jet, an LES study. J. Atmos. Sci., 64, pp. 1666–1679.
- Enger, L. and B. Grisogono (1998) The response of bora-type flow to sea surface temperature. Quart. J. Roy. Meteorol. Soc., 124, pp. 1227–1244.
- Grisogono, B. and D. Belušić (2009) Improving mixing length-scale for stable boundary layers. Quart. J. Roy. Meteorol. Soc., 134, pp. 2185–2192.
- Grisogono, B., A. Jeričević and L. Kraljević (2007) The low-level katabatic jet height versus Monin-Obukhov height. Quart. J. Roy. Meteorol. Soc., 133, pp. 2133–2136.
- Kavčič, I. and B. Grisogono (2007) Katabatic flow with Coriolis effect and gradually varying eddy diffusivity. Boundary-Layer Meteorol., 125, pp. 377–387.
- Mahrt, L. (2007) The influence of small-scale nonstationarity on the turbulent flux for stable stratification. Bound.-Layer Meteorol., 125, pp. 245–264.
- Mahrt , (2008) Bulk formulation of the surface fluxes extended to weak-wind stable conditions. Quart. J. Roy. Meteorol. Soc . , 134, pp. 1–10.
- Mauritsen, T., G. Svensson, S. Zilitinkevich, I. Esau, L. Enger and B. Grisogono (2007) A total turbulent energy closure model for neutrally and stably stratified atmospheric boundary layers. J. Atmos. Sci., 64, pp. 4113–4126.
- Zilitinkevich, S., T. Elperin, N. Kleeorin, I. Rogachevskii, I. Essau, T. Mauritsen and M.W. Miles (2008) Turbulence energetics in stably stratified geophysical flows: strong and weak mixing regimes. Quart. J. Roy. Meteorol. Soc., 134, pp. 793–799.