Authors: Belan B.D., Uzhegova N.V.
A study of air qualities has been done in 11 Siberian cities from Irkutsk (easternmost) to Novosibirsk (westernmost) in winter and summer with a mobile measurement station. It is shown that in winter a modern industrial city is not only a “heat island”, but also a “pollution island”. Admixtures concentration in centers of most cities is much higher than in their periphery. The exception is ozone, which is apparently destroyed by industrial emissions in the center and replenished in the periphery. In summer the local circulation is considerably weakened, and the difference between the parameter values for the center and periphery not always remains.
Tags: air pollution; heat island; industrial center; mobile measurement station; suburban; urban
- Arshinov, M.Y., B.D. Belan, D.K. Davydov, G.A. Ivlev, A.V. Kozlov, D.A. Pestunov, E.V. Pokrovskii, D.V. Simonenkov, N.V. Uzhegova, A.V. Fofonov (2005) AKV-2 mobile station and its use in Tomsk city as an example. Atmos. Oceanic Opt., No. 8, pp. 575–580 (In Russian).
- Belan, B.D. (1996) Problem of tropospheric ozone and some results of its measurements. Atmos. Oceanic Opt., No. 9, pp. 754–773 (In Russian).
- Belan, B.D., G.A. Ivlev, V.A. Pirogov, E.V. Pokrovskii, D.V. Simonenkov, N.V. Uzhegova, A.V. Fofonov (2005) A comparative estimate of air conditions of Siberian industrial cities at the cold period. Geografia i prirodnye resursy, No. 1, pp. 152–157 (In Russian).
- Belan, B.D., G.A. Ivlev, A.S. Kozlov et al. (2007) Comparison of air composition over industrial cities of Siberia. Atmos. Oceanic Opt., No.5, pp. 387–396 (In Russian).
- Landsberg, G.E. (1983) Urban climate. 248 pp.
- Matveev, L.T., (2000) Atmospheric Physics. Gidrometeoizdat, Saint Petersburg, 360 pp.
- Oke, T.R. (1982) Climates of Boundary Layer. 360 pp.
- Penenko, V.V., A.E. Aloyan (1985) Models and methods for environmental protection problems. 1985. 256 pp.
- Penenko, V.V., M.G. Korotkov (1998) Application of numerical models for forecasting of emergency and ecologically unfavorable situations in the Atmos. Oceanic Opt., No. 6, pp. 492–496 (In Russian).
- Penenko V.V. and E.A. Tsvetova (2002) Methods and models for assessment of ecological risks. Atmos. Oceanic Opt., No. 5–6, pp. 370–376 (In Russian).