Authors: Khokhlov V.N., Borovska G.A., Khomenko G.V., Sharaieva T.V.
Spatiotemporal features of drought distribution in the Ukraine territory are investigated for the period from 1943 to 2002 with the Palmer Drought Severity Index. The repeatability of months with droughts and droughts themselves, as well as their intensity and duration are analyzed. It is shown that there have been changes in aridity (or humidification) climate in the territory of Ukraine, and these changes were not uniform in different regions.
Tags: climatic change; drought; Palmer Drought Severity Index
Download full text (PDF)
- Robock A., Vinnikov K.Y., Srinivasan G., Entin J.K., Hollinger S.E., Speranskaya N.A., Liu S., Namkhai A. The global soil moisture data bank // Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society. – 2000. – Vol. 81. – P. 1281–1299.
- Robock A., Mu M., Vinnikov K., Trofimova I.V., Adamenko T.I. Forty five years of observed soil moisture in Ukraine: No summer desiccation (yet) // Geophysical Research Letters. – 2005. – Vol. 32. – L03401.
- Dai A., Trenberth K.E., Qian T. A global data set of Palmer Drought Severity Index for 1870–2002: Relationship with soil moisture and effects of surface warming // Journal of Hydrometeorology. – 2004. – Vol. 5. – P. 1117–1130.
- van der Schrier G., Briffa K.R., Jones P.D., Osborn T.J. Summer moisture variability across Europe // Journal of Climate. – 2006. – Vol. 19 – P. 2818–2834.
- Palmer W.C. Meteorologic drought // U.S. Weather Bureau. – 1965. – P. 45–58.
- Technical Regulations. Vol. I. WMO – No. 49. – WMO: Geneva, 1984. – 88 pp.