Authors: Tuchkovenko Yu. S., Kushnir D. V., Loboda N. S.
Assessments of changes in the intra-annual spatio-temporal variability of the hydrological characteristics of the Kuialnytskyi Lyman lagoon under various runoff volumes of the Velykyi Kuialnyk River were obtained from the results of calculations, using the predictive three dimensional hydrothermodynamic model Delft3D-FLOW.
Scenarios of increasing the river runoff inflow up to 25% and 75% of the monthly natural river runoff under conditions of 2015 were modelled, as well as under different by hydraulicity typical years of the modern climatic period of the 21st century (1990-2030), determined according to the most appropriate for the Kuialnytskyi Lyman lagoon region climatic scenario from the ENSEMBLES database, which corresponds to the global A1B scenario, calculated by the MPI-REMO model. Monthly values of the natural runoff of the Velykyi Kuialnyk River, calculated with the use of “climate-runoff” model, were used during the simulation.
Implementation of water management within the catchment area of the Velykyi Kuialnyk River and realization of various engineering and technical measures aimed at the increase of river inflow to the Kuialnytskyi Lyman lagoon, are identified to significantly affect the hydroecological regime of the lagoon only in case of supplying at least 75% of the natural river runoff volume into the lagoon.
The increase of the natural runoff of the Velykyi Kuialnyk River is incapable to provide the stabilization of the hydroecological regime of the Kuialnytskyi Lyman lagoon independently, without periodical replenishment of the lagoon with seawater from the Odessa Gulf.
Under the absence of replenishment of the lagoon with sea water and deficiency in the runoff of other small water streams flowing into the lagoon, the increase of the runoff of the Velykyi Kuialnyk River even up to 75% of the volume of its natural runoff could provide the stabilization of the annual cycle of water level and salinity variability in the lagoon only during the high-water years.
Tags: hydrodynamic modelling; hydrological regime; river runoff; the Black Sea; the Kuialnytskyi Lyman lagoon; гідродинамічне моделювання; гідрологічний режим; Куяльницкий лиман; річковий стік; Чорне море
- Loboda N. S., Gopchenko E. D. (Eds). Vodnyy rezhym ta hidroekolohichni kharakterystyky Kuyal’nyts’koho lymanu [Water regime and hydroecological characteristics of Kuyalnitskyi Liman]. OSENU. Odessa: TES, 2016. 332 p.
- Deltares, 2016. Delft3D 4.01 Suite. Available through: Delft3D Open Source Community <http://oss.deltares.nl/web/delft3d/ >. [Accessed 17 Febru-ary 2016].
- Deltares, 2014. Delft3D-FLOW – Simulation of multidimensional hydrodynamic flows and transport phenomena, including sediments, User Manual, Hydro-Morphodynamics, Version 3.15.34158. [pdf] Delft, The Netherlands: Deltares systems. Available at: <http://oss.deltares.nl/documents/183920/185723/Delft3D-FLOW_User_Manual.pdf>. [Accessed 17 February 2016].
- Tuchkovenko Yu. S., Kushnir D. V. Results of the numeri-cal modelling of the annual variability of characteristics of the hydrological regime of the Kuialnytskyi Lyman La-goon. Ukr. gìdrometeorol. ž. – Ukr. hydrometeor. J., 2016, no. 17, pp. 137-148. Available through: <http://uhmj.odeku.edu.ua/en/category/ 2016-en/17-en>. (In Ukrainian )
- Rozengurt M. Sh. Gidrologiya i perspektivy rekonstruktsii prirodnykh resursov Odesskikh limanov [Hydrology and Prospects for Natural Resources Rearrangement in the La-goons of the Odessa Region]. Kiev: Naukova dumka, 1974. 224 pp.
- Timchenko V. M. Ekologo-gidrologicheskie issledovaniya vodoemov Severo-Zapadnogo Prichernomor’ya [Environmental and Hydrological Researches into the Water Bodies in the North-Western Black Sea Region]. Kiev: Naukova Dumka, Institute of Hydrobiology of NASU, 1990. 240 p.
- Tuchkovenko Yu. S., Gopchenko E. D. (Eds). Aktual’nye problemy limanov severo-zapadnogo Prichernomor’ya [Topical problems of lagoons of the North-Western Black Sea Region]. OSENU. Odessa: TES, 2011, pp. 149-168.
- Burchard H., Baumert H. On the performance of a mixed layer model based on the k-ε turbulence closure. Journal of Geophysical Research (C5), 1995, no. 100, pp. 8523-8540.
- Millero Frank J., Poisson Alain, Chen Chen Tung, Brad-shaw Alvin L., Schleicher K. Background papers and supporting data on the International Equation of State of Sea-water. Unesco technical papers in marine science, 38, 1980, Publ: 1981. 192 p.
- Gill Adrian E. Atmosphere-Ocean Dynamics. International Geophysics Series. Academic Press, 1982, vol. 30. 680 p.
- Lane A. The heat balance of the North Sea. Tech. Rep. 8, Proudman Oceanographic Laboratory, 1989, pp. 243, 254.
- Panin G. N., Brezgunov V. S. Influence of the salinity of water on its evaporation. Izvestiya RAN. Atmospheric and Oceanic Physics, 2007, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 663–665. (In Russian)
- Wörner V., Hesse C., Stefanova A., Krysanova V. Evaluation of climate scenarios for the lagoons. Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, 2012. 40 p.
- ENSEMBLES Project. Available through: <http//ensemblesrt3.dmi.dk/>. [Accessed 27 March 2016].