Authors: Hrushevskiy O.N., Yeshanu O.Ye., Mishchenko N.M.
Low cloudiness is one of the most important factors of a flight meteorological situation determining safety of aircrafts landing.
The majority of publications devoted to the problem of stratiform cloudiness focus main attention on either studying of quantitative parameters of heat and moisture advection or typification of synoptic processes leading to its emergence and evolution. Therefore the main goal of the article consists in study of the spatiotemporal structure of dynamic features of the clouds-containing layer.
Using the example of weather conditions causing air traffic disruption at Odessa International Airport, the article studies spatiotemporal structure of dynamic features of the lower layer of the atmosphere at the time of low cloudiness formation and its degradation. Complex usage of GFS model data with high resolution and data of actual observations with regard to cloudiness ceiling ensured obtaining conclusions about the nature of circulation conditions during its evolution.
In particular, usage of time series helped to determine that vorticity and its features do not significantly affect low cloudiness formation unlike divergence and its vertical gradient. The conclusions obtained are confirmed via drafting of spatial vertical cross sections through the regions with minimum cloudiness ceiling.
Quantitative and qualitative assessments of dynamic structure of the lower layer of the atmosphere at the time of low cloudiness formation may be used when developing criteria and parameters for its forecast.
Tags: advection; cloudiness evolution; divergence; dynamic features; gradient; low cloudiness; vorticity
- Komissiya ekspertov podtverdila vysshuyu kategoriyu aerodroma «Borispol» i povysila uroven’ pozharnoy zashchity [The commission of experts confirmed the highest Boryspil airport category and increased the level of fire protection]. Mezhdunarodnyy aeroport «Borispol’» – Boryspil International Airport. URL: http://kbp.aero/ru/about/press-center/news/2014/666/ (ac-cessed 22 May).
- Aerologicheskaya diagramma [Aerological diagram]. Organizatsiya «StopDesign» – StopDesign organization. URL: http://meteo.paraplan.net/forecast/aerological_diagram.html (accessed 5 May).
- Atmospheric Soundings. University of Wyoming, College of Engineering and Applied Science, the Department of Atmospheric Science. URL: http://weather.uwyo.edu/upperair/sounding.html (accessed 13 April).
- Abramovich K. G., Khrgian A. Kh. Organizatsiya issledovaniya usloviy vozniknoveniya oblachnosti nizhnego yarusa [The organization of the study of the onset conditions of the low-level cloudiness]. Trudy CIP – Proceedings of the Central Forecasting Institute, 1959, issue 80, pp. 3-9.
- Abramovich K. G. Ob usloviyakh obrazovaniya oblachnosti nizhnego yarusa [On the formation conditions of the low-level cloudiness]. Trudy CIP – Proceedings of the Central Forecasting Institute, 1959, issue 80, pp. 10-41.
- Gogoleva E. I. Izmeneniya defitsita tochki rosy pered poyavleniem i rasseivaniem oblachnosti vysotoy nizhe 600 m [Dew-point deficit changes before the onset and dissipation of the clouds with bases below 600 m]. Trudy CIP – Proceedings of the Central Forecasting Institute, 1959, issue 80, pp. 42-57.
- Kolokolova G. V. Opredelenie urovnya perenosa pri prognoze nizkoy oblachnosti [Determination of the transfer level in forecasting low cloudiness]. Trudy CIP – Proceedings of the Central Forecasting Institute, 1959, issue 80, pp. 58-63.
- Arrago L. R., Shvets M. E. K teorii obrazovaniya i evolyutsii nekonvektivnoy oblachnosti [Towards the theory of the formation and evolution of the non-convective clouds]. Trudy CIP – Proceedings of the Central Forecasting Institute, 1961, issue 121, pp. 53-58.
- Abramovich K. G. Nekotorye osobennosti raspredeleniya meteorologicheskikh elementov v nizhney chasti troposfery v oblachnye i bezoblachnye dni [Some features of the distribution of meteorological elements at the bottom of the troposphere during the cloud and cloudless days]. Trudy CIP – Proceedings of the Central Forecasting Institute, 1964, issue 136, pp. 3-11.
- Rubinshteyn M. V. Prognoz oblachnosti vysotoy 100 m i menee na 3-6 chas. s pomoshchyu diagramm rasseyaniya [Prediction of the cloudiness with a base at 100 m and less with the lead time of 3-6 hours by using scattering diagrams]. Trudy CIP – Proceedings of the Central Forecasting Institute, 1966, issue 157, pp. 5-11.
- Abramovich K. G., Glazunov V. G. Usloviya formirovaniya i evolyutsii nizhnikh oblakov na Ukraine v noyabre–dekabre 1962 g. [Conditions of the formation and evolution of the lower clouds in Ukraine in November – December 1962]. Trudy CIP – Proceedings of the Central Forecasting Institute, 1966, issue 157, pp. 25-44.
- Abramovich K. G. Nekotorye osobennosti perenosa v nizhnich sloyach atmosfery i ich rol v formirovanii stratifikatsii pri nizhney oblachnosti [Some features of the transfer in the lower atmosphere and their role in the formation of stratification in the presence of the lower cloudiness]. Trudy GMC – Proceedings of the Hydrometeorological Centre, 1967, issue 7, pp. 50-62.
- Clouds and Precipitation. Handbook of Weather Forecasting. United Kingdom Meteorological Office. Bracknell: Meteorological Office, 1975. Chapter 19. 161 p.
- Abramovich K. G. K kharakteristike atmosfernykh processov v dni s nizhney oblachnostyu [On the characterization of the atmospheric processes during the days with the lower clouds]. Trudy CIP – Proceedings of the Central Forecasting Institute, 1964, issue 136, pp. 12-26.
- Shakina N. P., Skriptunova E. N. Spektry povtoryaemosti osadkov na territorii evropeyskoy chasti byvshego SSSR v zavisimosti ot intensivnosti frontalnykh zon i konvektivnoy neustoychivosti setochnogo masshtaba [Spectra of the precipitation repeatability in the European part of the former Soviet Union, depending on the intensity of the frontal zones and grid scale convective instability]. Meteorologiya i gidrologiya – Meteorology and hydrology, 2006, issue 4, pp. 5-18.
- Wells L. A. Marine Layer Stratus Study. Pure and Ap-plied Geophysics, 2007, vol. 164, pp. 1397-1421.
- Koračin D., Dorman C. E. Marine Atmospheric Boundary Layer Divergence and Clouds along California in June 1996. Monthly Weather Review, 2001, vol. 129, pp. 2040-2056.