Authors: Palamarchuk Yu.O., Ivanov S.V., Ruban I.G.
There is an increasing demand for automated high-quality very-short-range forecasts and nowcasts of precipitation on small scales and at high update frequencies. Current prediction systems use different methods of determining precipitation such as area tracking, individual cell tracking and numerical models. All approaches are based on radar measurements. World-leading manufactories of meteorological radars and attendant visualization software are introduced in the paper. Advantages of the numerical modelling against inertial schemes designed on statistical characteristics of convective processes are outlined. On this way, radar data assimilation systems as a necessary part of numerical models are intensively developed. In response to it, the use of digital formats for processing of radar measurements in numerical algorithms became important. In the focus of this work is the developing of a unified code for digital processing of radar signals at the preprocessing, filtration, assimilation and numerical integration steps. The proposed code also includes thinning, screening or superobbing radar data before exploring them for the assimilation procedures. The informational model manages radar data flows in the metadata and binary array forms. The model constitutes an official second-generation European standard exchange format for weather radar datasets from different manufactories. Results of radar measurement processing are presented for both, the single radar and radar overlying network.
Tags: digital signal; meteorological radar; precipitation
- Ivanov S., Palamarchuk J. Fine-scale precipitation struc-ture of a cold front and the problem of the representativeness error. Advances in Geosciences, 2007, vol. 10, pp. 3–8, doi:10.5194/adgeo-10-3-2007.
- Ivanov S., Palamarchuk J., Pyshniak D. Upscale feed-backs through microphysics fields at nesting domains of the MM5 model. Atmospheric Research, 2009, vol. 94, Iss. 4, pp. 726-735, doi:10.1016/j.atmosres.2009.03.006.
- Ivanov S., Palamarchuk J. Heat and energy fluxes in the convective cell behind a cold front. Advances in Geo-sciences, 2010, vol.25, pp. 71–77, doi:10.5194/adgeo-25-71-2010.
- Steinheimer M., Haiden T. Improved nowcasting of precipitation based on convective analysis fields. Advances in Geosciences, 2007, vol. 10, pp. 125–131, doi:10.5194/adgeo-10-125-2007.
- Mecklenburg S., Joss J., Schmid W. Improving the nowcasting of precipitation in an Alpine region with an enhanced radar echo tracking algorithm. J. Hydrol., 2000, vol. 239, pp. 46–68, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0022-1694(00)00352-8.
- Paulitsch H., Fuchsberger J.. FM94-BUFR encoding and decoding software library. API Documentation. OPERA document. 2012, 78 p. http://www.eumetnet.eu/sites/default/files/bufr_sw_apidoc.pdf
- Michelson D.B., Holleman I., Hohti H., Salomonsen M. HDF5 information model and implementation for weather radar data. COST 717 working document WDF_02_200204_1, version 1.2. 2003.
- Urban B. BUFR format and graphical format for polar volume data submitted to and composites produced by the OPERA Odyssey. 2012, 14 p. http://www.eumetnet.eu/sites/default/files/ODIM-bufr-polar-and-compo-and-graphic_0.pdf
- Michelson D.B., Lewandowski R., Szewczykowski M., Beekhuis H. EUMETNET OPERA weather radar information model for implementation with the HDF5 file format, version 2.1. Opera working document WD_2008_03, EUMETNET OPERA, 2011, 36 p. https://www.eol.ucar.edu/system/files/OPERA_2008_03_WP2.1b_ODIM_H5_v2.1.pdf
- Mustafa Demirci. Fuzzy functions and their applications. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, 2000, vol. 252, pp.495–517, doi:10.1006/jmaa.2000.7185.